And in case you haven’t heard ENOUGH about sheep, here are some of the amazing
benefits of sheep milk:
1. Grass-fed sheep milk is one of the most nutritious milks available. It is extremely gentle on the digestive system and packs double the amount of protein, healthy fats, and many Vitamins than cow’s milk. The milk from pasture-raised sheep is rich in vitamins A, B, and E, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium, AND it has a much higher proportion of short- and medium-chain fatty acids (the good ones!) Sheep milk also has more CLA (conjugated Linoleic Acid) than Cow, Goat, and even Human milk, and ESPECIALLY more because of their purely grass-based diet. CLA is a cancer-fighting fat!
2. Because the fat globules are much smaller in sheep’s milk, the milk is much more easily digested by humans. Sheep milk has:
• 44% more energy than cow’s milk
• 50% more iron than cow’s or goat’s milk
• 38% more calcium than cow’s milk
• 90% more folic acid than goat’s milk
• 50% more vitamin B12 than cow’s milk
• higher levels of vitamins ADE and C than both cow and goat milk
(sources: Kon and Cowie, 1961; Posati and Orr, 1976; Alichanidis and Polychroniadou, 1996
3. While sheep milk does contain similar amounts of Lactose to goat and cow milk, it does contain a much higher level of medium-short-chain fatty acids which aid in the absorption of lactose, so many people who have intolerances or sensitivities to cow’s milk find sheep’s milk to be much more easily digested.